Re: proposal: change default X11_TYPE on netbsd-6 to modular

On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 21:01:59 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> There are at least several reasons why base system X11 in netbsd-6 is
> too old, resulting in pulling in parts of pkgsrc (modular) X11.  This is
> awkward and not super well debugged.   One approach is to fix all the
> bugs.  Another is to switch netbsd-6 to pkgsrc X11, much like we
> switched netbsd-5 long ago.

Tricky.

I remember forcing a netbsd-5 installation back to native X11, when I
needed a handful of X packages on the machine, but did not want to
incur the cost of building and installing a few dozen supporting pkgsrc
X11 packages, all alike.

You probably want pkgsrc X11 on netbsd-6 for a full-blown desktop
installation. But the fragility that comes with one of the many X11
libraries not building is most annoying for a server that needs to run
an xterm every now and then...

On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 20:17:09 -0500, Jason Bacon wrote:
> What's the reasoning for maintaining two X11 collections?

"Native" X11 is cross-buildable, pkgsrc X11 is not.

hauke

--
Hauke Fath                        <hauke%Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE@localhost>
Ernst-Ludwig-Straße 15