Re: zlib and builtin.mk on macOS

On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 09:27:38PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I would say that looking for the headers in some prefix is wrong.
> Instead, it should just try a test program that includes them and if it
> builds, be happy.

Compiling a test program would be even slower. Looking for the headers
as the primary means that been a reliable mechanism for over a decade,
until some systems started to seriously mess things up. I'm not yet sure
in which category OSX falls. In this case, it should really be pulling
in the pkgsrc version of zlib, so I'm not sure why that problem happens.

Joerg