Re: Pkgsrc unusable on lots of platforms now

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016, at 08:14, Martin Husemann wrote:
> So, PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS += -pulseaudio got me a lot further. I also
> had to add -introspection (which never realy works for me and made the
> build fail due to libgthread calling an undefined weak symbold
> __deregister_frame_info).
>
> But there are other spurious uses of polkit, like in xfce4-session.
> Just commenting that out there made it build (but I have not yet
> tested it). Can we add a global "policykit" option?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is such a thing
as a global option in the sense you seem to be assuming. There are just
a bunch of package-specific options (in <category>/<package>/options.mk)
that happen to have consistent names and meanings.
"PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS+= -pulseaudio" works because most packages
that can be built against pulseaudio implement a "pulseaudio"
option in their options.mk to make that dependency optional. Doing
the same for policykit means finding all the packages that
currently depend on policykit and adding a "policykit" option to
each of them. That's certainly possible, someone just has to care
enough about it to do the work.

-- IDL