Re: c++11

Thomas Klausner <tk%giga.or.at@localhost> writes:

> Shouldn't we rather add support to USE_LANGUAGES like this:
>
> USE_LANGUAGES+=	c++11
>
> and make bsd.pkg.mk set CXXFLAGS and request a good-enough compiler?

I have the impression that in a C++ program one can't mix compilers and
expect it to work.  If e.g. one compiles a library with gcc 4.5, and a
program with 4.8, and then links them with 4.8, will that
program/library work correctly?  This seems to reliably work in C.  If
it's not reliable/true in C++, is it because each compiler has a
different ABI?  Some other reason?

Is it then necessary to arrange for all programs to be built with the
same compiler?

And, is this need-same-compiler issue related to issues from switching
between clang and gcc (which seems inadvisable on the fly)?