Re: krb5 builtin busted ? (was Re: heimdal builtin busted?)

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 03:44:37PM -0500, John D. Baker wrote:
 > > I can certainly see the value of checking first for something already
 > > installed, so I'll see if I can come up with something for evaluation.
 >
 > I wonder why one package's need for a different kerberos implementation
 > should adversely affect other packages' satisfaction with the
 > native/builtin kerberos (whichever it may be).  Having pkgsrc "mit-krb5"
 > installed shouldn't break other packages ability to use a native "heimdal"
 > (and vice-versa, I should think).

It shouldn't and won't... until the package is a library, and other
libraries are linked against the other kerberos, and then some
application ends up trying to link with both kerberos versions at
once; then it all goes wahooni-shaped.

This comes up with older native vs. newer pkgsrc X libs from time to
time and it's one of the reasons x11-links has to exclude old but
otherwise perfectly good versions.

It would be better to find a way to enforce coherence restrictions
like this only when they matter, but that's Hard because it requires
nonlocal reasoning on the dependence graph.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost