Re: The sad state of pkgsrc [was Re: pkgsrc NetBSD 7.0.1_PATCH/x86_64 2016-09-04 11:03]

On Wed, Sep 07, 2016 at 11:19:40PM +0100, Alexander Nasonov wrote:
> Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > > [...]
> > Given that the current version is ICC 16 and 11.1 is seven years old
> > now, I doubt it. Just like the ancient f-prot version, I really question
> > the usefulness of this package.
>
> I looked at updating to version 12 but nearly every useful compiler
> option triggered a link to a big linux DSO (libcilk, IIRC) and I
> couldn't figure out how to turn object files into NetBSD binaries.
> I doubt the situation is any better in version 16.
>
> I don't mind removing this package. I know that wiz@ used the package
> in the past. I don't know if he still does.

CILK has been Open Source'd, so that shouldn't really be a show stopper.
I know that ICC11 was a very good compiler at the time, especially given
the limitations of vectorisation in GCC at the time. But things have
changed quite a bit in 7 years and lack of support for newer CPUs and
extensions make me wonder about the usefulness.

Joerg