Re: Multiple versions of PostGreSQL

Le 10/08/16 09:57, Filip Hajny a écrit :
>> 10. 8. 2016 v 8:27, David Holland <dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost>:
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 08:17:51AM -0400, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
>>> How hard would it be to allow multiple versions of PostGreSQL to be
>>> installed?
>>
>> As I recall there's currently a hack for it, but it's both abusive and
>> doesn't produce particularly good results. Or maybe that's been
>> removed by now?
>
> If you mean ${PG_SUBPREFIX} then that was removed some time in 2010, I cannot locate the exact commit now.
>
> -F

The solaris distribution tarballs found on postgresql.org builds everything typically under
e.g. postgres/9.5-pgdg (usually installed to /usr)  ... that is, generally speaking, multiple versions
(even multiple architectures) are reasonably easily supported.

Strictly speaking, that part is easy, and similar is already done for a number of packages like java.
In any event this is probably the first step which, should probably be done.

Also, I happened to notice today that ubuntu linux has a package called postgresql-commons
(https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/postgresql-common)
which looks like it may contain some elements which might be interesting to consider here.

Haven't tried it but if no one else has, I'll see if I get something in wip next month or so for evaluation.

--
Richard PALO