make environment during packaging?

I am working on a package with a Makefile mostly set up for destdir support; its Makefiles have, for example, ${destdir}${bindir}/… in appropriate places.  However, the value of ${destdir} is not set anywhere.  It would seem that I could export destdir=${DESTDIR} into the environment during packaging and have this work, but that seems not to work.

Is there any means of exporting an environment during packaging or only during configure and build?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Brook