Re: libarchive fails to build - permissions

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 09:49:15AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> I use CVSREAD=t so that files are read-only until I explicitly use "cvs
>> edit".  (In general we have a notion that sources can be read only, both
>> as a fs and source files permissions, so this doesn't seem that odd of
>> me.)
>
> Yes, it is. Frankly, I find this a case of "local issue". If you want to

Where is it documented that the files in pkgsrc/ must have the user
write permission bit set?  That seems like a bizarre requirement.

Consider having pkgsrc on a CD, where files are conventionally 444
because they are in a read-only filesystem.

> enforce a read only tree, use a null point.

I don't follow "null point".  My tree is actually read only, until I
make things writable if I want to change them.  I don't want to have it
be writeabl and then access it through some null mount.