Re: distfile fetch fail on netbsd-5

On 20/04/2016 2:40 AM, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 12:16:32PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

On a netbsd-5 machine which is pretty up to date:

  => Bootstrap dependency digest>=20010302: found digest-20121220
  => Fetching jabberd-2.3.6.tar.xz
  make: Bad modifier `:tA' for DISTINFO_FILE
  fetch: distinfo file missing: :Q}
  *** Error code 1

  Stop.
  make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/chat/jabberd2

I looked at make's manpage on netbsd-6, and don't see :tA documented.

Look again. It was added in 1.170, which is much older than netbsd-6.

There's no dependency on a new-enough nbmake, which would seem to be
necessary.  As a result this breaks pkgsrc on netbsd-5, which while
technically no longer supported, is not really that crufty.

make versioning is not that useful. We don't support NetBSD before 6.0
without bootstrap.

This has only just happened, and I have some legacy stuff that I'm not yet ready to move to 6.x/7.x but I do want to, if possible, keep pkgsrc installed applications up to date, as that's always been pretty easy to do.

What's the trick, if there is one, to make make work on a 5.x NetBSD system?

thank you,

Carl