Re: pkgconfig changes

>> True, but why don't you just pkg_delete pkg-config?  In general, package
>> installs don't auto-force-uninstall conflicting packages.

> I did, but isn't it worth fixing because lots of people use
> pkg_rolling-replace or make update?

> John

With FreeBSD ports it is possible to update a package when the name has changed, with either portupgrade or portmaster, maybe also synth.

There is also pkg which has a function to change the effective name of a package, among many other things.

I think pkg has been imported to NetBSD with pkgsrc, though the pkgsrc version is behind the FreeBSD version.

FreeBSD switched from pkg_* tools, same as what NetBSD uses, to pkgng.

From  https://wiki.freebsd.org/pkgng

there is a link to https://github.com/freebsd/pkg/blob/master/README.md

Excerpt:

pkg - a binary package manager for FreeBSD

Known to fully work on (official package manager):

    FreeBSD
    DragonflyBSD

Known to work on (has been ported to):

    Linux