compiling gcc5 (and others?) on MacOSX

I have had trouble compiling various lang/gcc* packages on a MacOSX system (OS X 10.10.5, Darwin 14.5.0, Xcode 7.0.1).  The problem is that comparison of stage2 and stage3 object files fails.  The following thread

https://github.com/Homebrew/legacy-homebrew/issues/38501

indicates that the solution is to add --with-build-config=bootstrap-debug to the configure args.  I implemented this with the attached patch and lang/gcc5 at least compiles fine.  I have several questions:

- Is this the correct solution?
- Is this needed for other OS X/Xcode combinations?
- Should this (or similar) patch be applied to at least some of the lang/gcc* packages?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Brook