Re: Rewriting pkglint in a portable language

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 09:33:56PM +0100, Roland Illig wrote:
 > due to ongoing problems with the portability of the Go programming
 > language, I have considered to rewrite pkglint in another programming
 > language.
 > [...]

Isn't vala dead? That's the impression I've had recently.

Anyway, the only time performance of pkglint has ever been a
noticeable issue (for me anyway) is when running it on the whole tree,
and with one thing and another I think I'm the only person who does
that anyway.

It seems to me that for this kind of thing (smallish application
software where performance isn't critical) the best available
mainstream choice is Python.

If you want to use a boutique language there's a number of interesting
things in lang/, some of which are fairly portable.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost