Re: Update rust and move from wip/ to lang/ ?

* On 2016-03-24 at 07:49 GMT, Martin Husemann wrote:

> it would be really cool if someone(tm) could have a look at wip/rust and
> update it (from 0.11 to 1.7 ;-}) and eventually make it move to lang/.
>
> The firefox builds can make use of it in the near future (and may even
> require it some later day, duh!)

I've already done a bunch of work to do this, and it's currently
sitting in our pkgsrc-joyent tree:

  https://github.com/joyent/pkgsrc-joyent/tree/master/rust

I want to have a working cargo build too before getting this in (plus
waiting for the official 1.8.0 release), but that is proving
problematic due to more bootstrap problems.  Thankfully the Bitrig
guys wrote a python script to emulate enough of cargo to avoid having
to use binary bootstraps, but it's quite tricky to get right.

1.8 will be the first release to support illumos, hence waiting for
that rather than going with 1.7.  We're already shipping the 1.8.0pre1
package in our 2015Q4 sets:

  https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/packages/SmartOS/2015Q4/x86_64/All/rust-1.8.0pre1.tgz

for users to test, and it seems ok so far (passes the test suite, etc).