Re: Spawn support in pkgsrc tools - Google Summer of Code 2016

> Greetings,
>
> I am writing to let you know that I have submitted a draft of the
> proposal via the GSOC web interface. It is also available at
> http://www.atheod.net/GSOC2016/atheod_project_proposal.pdf.
>
> As there is still some time until the deadline for subimission of
> the final version of the proposal, I am open to suggestions and
> feeback.

Looks good.

Few notes from my side:
- - when you start discussing fork(2) and vfork(2) please show the
difference between them and their purposes, use-cases, applicability,
- - please note that while vfork(2) is kind of optimization, this
interface had been marked as obsolescent by POSIX and currently is
absent in the standard:
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/vfork.html
- - historically vfork(2) has been reimplemented in NetBSD,
- - please note that fork(2) is expensive operation on some systems
(notably Darwin),
- - vfork(2) is currently out from at least Oracle Solaris,
- - please list what operating systems do support posix_spawn(2),
- - pdksh(1) there is no longer external active upstream, it's
maintained in the NetBSD sources,
- - please try to check memory overhead complexity, not just time
complexity,
- - building release (with build.sh) is a good initial test, for the
pgksrc world I'm suggesting to try out final tests with pbulk (if
there is no shortage on quick hardware),
- - personally I would focus on NetBSD base shells (with their pkgsrc
equivalents): sh(1), ksh(1), csh(1) -- leaving bash(1), mksh(1) and
others as optional,
- - please ensure that there are ATF tests in the NetBSD base validating
modified implementation of a functionality, if they are absent please
add them.