Re: SunOS 64-bit ABI bootstrap

* On 2016-01-22 at 13:49 GMT, Ryo ONODERA wrote:

> Hi,
>
> From: Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost>, Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 13:39:40 +0000
>
> > * On 2016-01-22 at 13:36 GMT, Ryo ONODERA wrote:
> >
> >> I have gotten the following error on SmartOS.
> >> Can anyone fix this problem?
> >
> > This is a known issue at this time, affects a few other operating
> > systems as well, and will be fixed by my patch proposed in the "Fixing
> > MACHINE_ARCH" thread on this list.
> >
> > I'm just waiting for enough feedback before committing the patch, as
> > it touches quite a few areas.
>
> Thanks for your quick response.
>
> Do you have check list for your patch?
> I have no idea what platform/architecture/OS have confirmed already.

I have tested Darwin i386/x86_64, OpenBSD/amd64, SunOS/i386 (32-bit
and 64-bit), Linux x86_64, and cross-compile support on NetBSD/amd64.

Sevan has tested Darwin/powerpc 32-bit, Bitrig/amd64, and SunOS/sparc,
and I'm hoping he'll be able to test Darwin/powerpc64

It's highly likely my patch breaks AIX/HPUX, but I do not have any
access to those systems to test, and it is possible they are broken at
the moment anyway with the same issue.

Systems with architectures not currently in the $machine_arch/$abi
table in bootstrap/bootstrap would be highly desirable, especially if
they are capable of multiarch.

> By the way, if your patch will not be committed soon,
> can I commit the following workaround?

No, please do not.  Given the high number of platforms broken with
current pkgsrc I'm likely to commit the patch either today or tomorrow
anyway, as I am sure it will fix more platforms than it may
potentially break, and it is the right way forward.