Re: Removing APACHE_CUSTOM_CFLAGS

			Hey,

On 01/20/16 14:04, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Pierre Pronchery <khorben%defora.org@localhost> writes:
>> I would like to know if it would be fine to remove support for
>> the APACHE_CUSTOM_CFLAGS variable in pkgsrc. It is not used by
>> default, and breaks normal support for CFLAGS in
>> www/apache{22,24}.
>>
>> Is anyone using this? If yes, I will welcome alternative
>> solutions allowing support for CFLAGS and APACHE_CUSTOM_CFLAGS
>> together.
>
> This seems reasonable to remove.

Ok, will do.

> If anything, we should have support for setting custom cflags on a
> per-package basis in mk.conf, rather than an open-coded version of
> that abstraction in particular makefiles.

I definitely agree.

> However, I do wonder what the motivation was for adding this.  Did
> the commit message that added it say anything useful?  The comments
> in the Makefile do not.  (Really the explanation/justification
> belongs in the Makefile.)

It dates back to 2001, from bsd.pkg.defaults.mk (1.1), which was
itself inspired from mk.conf.example:

Author: jlam <jlam>
Date:   Fri May 18 06:01:35 2001 +0000

    Introduce a new make variable APACHE_CUSTOM_CFLAGS that can be set
    in /etc/mk.conf to any string of legal compiler flags to tune
    different aspects of the built httpd.

Cheers,
- --
khorben