pbulk with manual steps

Hi,

I've found pbulk to be problematic on slower architectures and platforms with limited memory. In the past, I've used a fast machine with lots of memory to build the presolve and pscan files, then moved them to slower machines, then run bulkbuild-rebuild on each package in turn. This worked. However, now I can't even get past the initial dependencies (distcc, ccache) on two architectures. I've built checkperms, digest, libtool-base and gmake, but any attempt to compile popt gives me the dreaded:

===> Installing dependencies for popt-1.16nb1
=> Tool dependency libtool-base>=2.2.6bnb3: NOT found
=> Verifying /nonexistent for ../../devel/libtool-base
make: don't know how to make /nonexistent. Stop

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to handle this, or perhaps have any thoughts about a better way to build packages on systems with less than a gigabyte of memory?

Thanks,
John