Re: Adding SHA-512 to the list of digests

   Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 11:21:55 -0700
   From: Alistair Crooks <agc%pkgsrc.org@localhost>

   For distfile checksums, I'd like to add SHA-512 to our current mix of
   SHA-1 and RMD160.  [...]

   In this way, pkgsrc distinfo files will be updated over time to have 3
   digests, with a mopping up operation for some of the packages which
   aren't so volatile.

   Does anyone have any problems with this?

Nope!  Please do it.

Along with SHA-512, it might be nice to add a hash function with a
substantially different design, e.g. BLAKE2b or SHA3-512 (now that it
is finalized!), for improved diversity.  Dunno whether digest can
handle them -- if not, I wrote simple portable C code for them here:

http://mumble.net/~campbell/hg/blake2/
http://mumble.net/~campbell/hg/sha3/

Thoughts about planning to phase out SHA-1 and/or RMD160 later, to
reduce the CPU cycles needed to verify distfiles?