Re: Requiring USE_DESTDIR=yes after the branch

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 22:00:48 +0200
Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:

> Hi all,
> following the pkgsrc-2015Q3 branch, I would like to remove the support
> for USE_DESTDIR=no from pkgsrc. In terms of the infrastructure, the only
> thing still depending on it is bootstrapping. I am working on that, but
> I've been running out of time before the freeze started. Otherwise a
> proper warning would have been added already.

It will break support for old HP-UX.
But don't let that hold you back. :)

Background for those interested: libtool on this platform
unconditionally does relinking in the install phase because ld(1) leaks
work directory run paths unless the linked against shared library is
installed in it's final location.

It is an issue for things like for example gtk-demo(1) and libgtk2.so,
where there is a binary and a library that are provided by the
same package.

After you apply your changes I think I will just patch our libtool to
not care about leaking run paths since there is no sane way to prevent
it from happening in the DESTDIR installation case.

-Tobias