Re: Packages not honouring CFLAGS

* On 2015-08-06 at 18:45 BST, Pierre Pronchery wrote:

> while testing both SSP and full ASLR support (building PIE executables)
> I realized that a number of packages do not apply CFLAGS as desired via
> pkgsrc. As a result, either SSP is not used when configured, or the
> package does not build at all (objects not suitable for PIE).

Yes, there are lots, and even more don't apply LDFLAGS.  We had to
work around this to ensure that all our packages are linked against
libumem, so I wrote these patches for legacy wrappers and cwrappers:

  https://github.com/joyent/pkgsrc/commit/8a772c4bffbb7cec103280b1647a946918413e45
  https://github.com/joyent/pkgsrc/commit/768a65657933b1fa36c8bd8bba8ed642c7cbf3d3

What we might want to do similarly is route pkgsrc CFLAGS and LDFLAGS
directly into _WRAP_EXTRA_ARGS/CWRAPPERS_APPEND to ensure they are
always passed through, as I fear patching all packages to honour
CFLAGS and LDFLAGS is going to be a huge effort and will need constant
updating.