Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/security/gnupg2

From: Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost>, Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 10:23:07 -0400

> Ryo ONODERA <ryo_on%yk.rim.or.jp@localhost> writes:
>
>> From: Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost>, Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 07:42:46 -0400

>> I do not find official usage about MESSAGE file yet.
>
> I don't understand what you mean by that.
>
> My own opinion that MESSAGE is very much overused and should be avoided
> is not official policy.

I see.
I have misunderstood it is official policy.

>>> All that said, because thunderbird is a gtk thing, not a qt thing,
>>> having the enigmail plugin depend on pinentry-gtk2 seems reasonable.
>>
>> O.k.
>> I will keep pinentry dependency.
>> And I will add pinentry-gtk2 dependency to *-enigmail.
>
> sounds fine to me.
>
>>> Sort of realted, are we at the point where the gnupg2 package should
>>> build gpg, and gpg 1 should be deprecated?  I'm not clear on why we are
>>> still using gpg1.
>>
>> I believe gpg2 will work fine for many users.
>
> Some people seem bothered by it, but I haven't seen specifics, just a
> general objection to some notion of complexity.    As I see it, the
> pinentry thing is the big complexity, but it's also useful, and gpg1
> uses pinentry, so I don't really see how gpg1/gpg2 are different.
> Perhaps it's that with gpg1 on the command line, you can type the
> passphrase manually, and you can't with gpg2, but I'm not clear on the
> details.

At least for my casual use (e-mail with mail/mew or command line
encrypt/decrypt etc.), gpg and gpg2 have no much difference for me.
If you want to use gpg like passphrase interface, you can use pinentry-tty
from security/pinentry.

--
Ryo ONODERA // ryo_on%yk.rim.or.jp@localhost
PGP fingerprint = 82A2 DC91 76E0 A10A 8ABB  FD1B F404 27FA C7D1 15F3