Re: vlc-2.2.1 crash in module loader

On Mon, 6 Jul 2015 17:40:36 +0000 Taylor R Campbell <campbell
+netbsd-tech-pkg%mumble.net@localhost> wrote:

>    Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2015 16:00:26 +0200
>    From: "Ian D. Leroux" <idleroux%fastmail.fm@localhost>
>
>    Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
>    #0  0x00007f7fcb8eab31 in ?? ()
>    (gdb) bt
>    #0  0x00007f7fcb8eab31 in ?? ()
>    #1  0x00007f7ff5ce8c59 in __cxa_finalize ()
>    #from /usr/lib/libc.so.12
>
> This usually suggests that someone tried to use atexit in a shared
> library, which doesn't work because the shared library may be unloaded
> by the time the process tries to call the atexit handlers.
>
> The usual fix is to use __attribute__((__destructor__)) instead.  See,
> e.g., graphics/MesaLib/patches/patch-src_glsl_ralloc.c.  If you're not
> sure which atexit handler, you could run it in a debugger, set a
> breakpoint on atexit, and check the stack trace. [...]

Thanks, that's a very helpful hint.  I hope to have time for another
shot at this in a few days.

Thanks to the good folks who organized pkgsrccon, I made some progress
on the rest of the package over the weekend.  As of last night's
commit, pkgsrc/wip is usable on my machine, with the following slightly
unsatisfactory points:
- I have to set the video output to "X11 video output (XCB)" manually
(my machine has no graphics acceleration).  Leaving the output
selection to "Automatic" produces garbled video and leads to the
aforementioned crash at shutdown.  With the output set manually, video
displays fine and I've yet to see any crashes.
- I'm using a hack, inherited and expanded from multimedia/vlc21, to
work around what I suspect is a flaw in Qt infrastructure.  I'll
start a separate thread for that.

I'll try to have another look soon at the SIGSEGV on shutdown.  Aside
from that, I consider the package ready for others to test in
preparation for import.

--
IDL