Re: suitable shells for bootstrapping pkgsrc

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 02:59:57PM -0600, Brook Milligan wrote:
 > On Jun 26, 2015, at 2:06 PM, David Holland wrote:
 > > Both bash and dash ought to work. So the question is what the
 > > bootstrap script has been imbibing?
 >
 > Well, the test seems to be whether the shell's echo command is
 > BSD-compatible.  Apparently the dash echo is not.

Hmm... dunno. All I know is that there's been talk on here about
making dash the default pkgsrc shell for certain platforms, as bash is
horribly slow and despite whatever problems dash may have it still
beats pdksh. But it isn't something I've been keeping track of.

 > Knowing that bash should be ok, I set SH to point to it and all is
 > now good (i.e., pkgsrc is bootstrapped).  Note that it was not
 > sufficient to just start bash as a subshell and run bootstrap
 > within it; setting the environment variable was necessary.

Right, that's expected as it runs a lot of shells of its own and it
has to configure itself accordingly.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost