Re: pkgtools/pkgdiff: mkpatches, ignore time stamp for unchanged patches

* On 2015-06-09 at 22:59 BST, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Leonardo Taccari <iamleot%gmail.com@localhost> writes:
>
> > Hello Ryo,
> >
> > Ryo ONODERA writes:
> >> [...]
> >> Thank you.
> >> However patchdiff from pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkgdiff
> >> may perform similar behavior?
> > Ops!, you are completely right and I didn't know about patchdiff!
> > Thank you!
> > Now I know that I have just reimplemented the patchdiff functionality
> > inside mkpatches. :)
>
> I think it would be good if mkpatches declined to update patchfiles if
> they weren't actually meaningfully different, at least by default.  I
> find it annoying when I run mkpatches and e.g. see 12 .orig files, when
> examination shows that really there's just the new patch I added and 3
> that were defuzzed, with 8 unchanged.
>
> I guess this comes down to suggesting that mkpatches be "mkpatches;
> patchdiff".  Does anyone ever want to not have this behavior?

Me.  In my opinion patches should always be appropriate to the version
currently in pkgsrc, and it should be up to the person who updates the
package version to ensure that they are, rather than relying on fuzz.

This helps a great deal when fixing packages without bumping the
version.  It means that the diffs resulting from mkpatches are only
those which are caused by your change, and that makes it much easier
to verify that you aren't accidentally changing something else.