Random string generation during *-install

Dear list,

What is the correct way of generating a fixed random string on pre-install or do-install stage?

I Was thinking along the line "openssl rand -hex <size>" , however I can't seem to find any example in current pkgsrc nor any other equivalent command. Is it safe to assume that openssl is available at this stage even on !NetBSD platforms?

I would prefer avoiding this during build to avoid sharing the id/key between multiple installations.

Thanks,

--
Jean-Yves Migeon