Re: legal problems ? (Re: textproc/{convertlit,lit2epub}

Makoto Fujiwara <makoto%ki.nu@localhost> writes:

> Now I saw the following entry in doc/TODO:
>         o lit2epub-0.2.2
>
> When trying to update this from 0.1.1, I found it depended to
> | DEPENDS+=       convertlit-[0-9]*:../../textproc/convertlit
>
> CONVERTLIT_MASTER_SITES etc are not defined anywhere.

The issue appears to be the DMCA and circumvention tools.

Please note I'm not going to help you build those tools, but only to
discuss what's proper in pkgsrc.

The undefined MASTER_SITES appears to be intentional.  Note that at the
top of the file, there is guidance not to replace the variables with
useful values, and not to submit PRs.  Arguably it should also say not
to send to NetBSD mailinglists :-)

That there have been other packages in the tree with broken source
pointers for a long time.

The issue is that TNF is in the US and thus has to follow US law.
This is complicated by recent exceptions intended to allow
visually-impaired people to access locked-up content.   It's obvious
that one needs to be a lawyer to really understand this.

> 'make package' warns as:
>
> WARNING: convertlit-1.8nb1 may not be put on a CD-ROM:
> WARNING: Possible legal problems
> WARNING: convertlit-1.8nb1 may not be made available through FTP:
> WARNING: Possible legal problems
>
> What is the right answer ?
>
> 1. Leave them (convertlit and lit2epub) as they are
> 2. Should lit2epub be update to 0.2.2
> 3. Investigate legal problems
> 4. Remove those packages

It would be reasonable to add "(DMCA/circumvention)" to the end of
RESTRICTED, to make this more obvious to someone not already used to the issue.

If lit2epub is useful without convertlit, the dependency should become
optional and default off, as we generally try not to burden
free/available software with problematic dependencies.  If it's not
useful without it, I don't see any constructive permissible steps.

Whether anyone should therefore just remove these is unclear (it seems
obvious that there is at least one person somewhere for whom use is
lawful).