Re: misc/gnuls wants FORCE_UNSAFE_CONFIGURE

Tim Zingelman <tez%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Alistair Crooks <agc%pkgsrc.org@localhost> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 12:37:09PM +0000, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
>>> The configure script in misc/gnuls  complains it is ran as root. I
>>> had to add this to get the package to build:
>>
>> You should only need this if the effective uid at configure time is 0
>> (and pkgsrc has JIT su capabilities to raise privileges only when
>> needed)
>>
>> I just downloaded, configured and built the package with an effective
>> uid of 1000.  From a sanity PoV, why are you doing everything as root?
>>

> I used to do everything (pkgsrc) as root out of lazyness... then some
> malformed tool that had output redirected to /dev/null managed to rm
> /dev/null and re-create it as a plain text file... that made for some
> interesting bizarre behavior which took a fair amount of time to
> figure out.  That motivated me to spend what turned out to be about 5
> minutes figuring out how to use pgksrc as a regular user with the very
> cool JIT su capability that Alistair mentions.  Highly recommended.

Totally valid points, but I think that unless we make a conscious and
documented decision that building as root is not supported, it's a bug
if a pakcage fails when built that way.

What is normal practice for bulkd builds, using our existing scripts and
documentation?