Re: Removing lang/python26

Tobias Nygren <tnn%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On Fri, 3 Apr 2015 12:43:30 -0400
> rodent%NetBSD.org@localhost wrote:
>
>> > Removal proposals should explain what what's officially EOL and actually
>> > unmaintained and for how long, will be lost, and what the positive
>> > effects on maintenance issues will be.  (I have not noticed any real
>> > pain from python26 still being in pkgsrc.)
>>
>> python26 was EOL'd in 2013Q4. $X py26 packages will be lost. Maintenance will
>> be easier due to having fewer packages to maintain and not backporting fixes to
>> packages which might never be fixed upstream. Fewer breaks in bulk builds due
>> to upstream dropping support for py26 (sometimes, this is not documented).
>> etc. etc.

The real issue is how much pain it will cause people, and whether we can
reasonably tell anyone people using py26-anything  that the time is long
past when that is a reasonble thing to do.  Probably we're there, but
I should have expressed that gauging the pain imposed on people who are
not being unreasonable is part of the point.

> Technical merits and drawbacks aside, do we expect we have any users
> that still set PYTHON_VERSION_DEFAULT=26 and what would their reason for
> doing so be? I don't know how big a difference 2.6 vs 2.7 is but if the
> answer to this question is "no", then there's no point to discuss
> technicalities further. Freeze aside, nobody objected on this thread
> for two weeks. Personally I think that is plenty of heads-up.

I would expect that no one needs to use 26.  The usual issue is not "I
feel like using 26" but "package X works with 26 but not 27".  There's
generally a lot of that early on, but probably very little, maybe none
of that, in packages currently in pkgsrc.

So if no one speaks up in a week that explaining why we should keep 26,
I won't object to removal.