Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/net/coda

(please excuse previous blank messsage)

Hauke Fath <hauke%Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE@localhost> writes:

>> Do you really have this working on any kind of solaris?  Is there kernel
>> support?
>
> not yet, and (according to
> <http://marc.info/?l=linux-coda&m=124181000316589&w=2>), no.
>
>>  Last time this came up I asked about that, and it seems it
>> doesn't actually work.  If the package doesn't actually work (fully,
>> with kernel support), then I'd (as MAINTAINER) rather not have solaris
>> patches, because they add update complexity and won't help.
>
> I can see your point. Arguably, the patches should go upstream - I see
> you are currently trying to get them accepted.

Definitely please do engage with upstream.  Upstream is a few years
behind coping with patches but is claiming they have a get-well plan :-)

>> Arguably there should be ONLY_FOR_PLATFORM limited to NetBSD and Linux;
>> I'm not aware of anything else working.
>
> I guess there is not much point in a server-only installation, given
> that Coda has its own file store, so yes, this would have made a clear
> statement...

A server-only system is an interesting point that I hadn't considered.
But, resolving server-server conflicts is done through venus.  So I
don't think it's a good idea to run a server without a venus.

> OTOH, the sources are littered with '#ifdef sun' statements, so
> nominal support is there; and if the sources at least build, that
> might increase visibility of the project.

The real issue is upstream, and there no one has a clue that anyone
cares about coda on solaris.

Thanks for backing out the patches.  I would be happy if this actually
worked and especially if they are rolled in upstream.  But I believe
there are 3 actual users of the netbsd coda package, and would be 0 of
the solaris version.   Let me know if I'm wrong :-)