Re: What's the story for NPM packages?

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 09:48:59AM +0100, Benny Siegert wrote:
 > So what should we do? Maybe add logic to npm to create "ephemeral"
 > packages and at least register the metadata? Or do hundreds of trivial
 > packages, cpan-style?

I don't know anything much about this particular set of widgetry, but
I'd say add the packages.

It's not good to have things in /usr/pkg that don't belong to any
package; and the convenience of being able to push a button and
install all the bits without having to know or care about some
specific microcommunity's packaging tools (whether they're good or
bad) outweighs a good bit of overhead. Also, if we have packages then
we can track security issues.

(Figuring out how to make the pkgsrc stubs as simple as possible helps
with maintenance, of course.)

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost