Re: Purpose of mk/find-prefix.mk

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 04:11:24AM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 12:20:50PM -0500, J. Lewis Muir wrote:
> >
> > I've noticed some packages (e.g. editors/OmegaT) use mk/find-prefix.mk
> > to find the installation prefix of a particular package (e.g.
> > devel/apache-ant) while others (e.g. devel/opengrok) just assume an
> > installation prefix of a particular package (e.g. devel/apache-ant) to
> > be "${PREFIX}".  What is the reason for using mk/find-prefix.mk instead
> > of "${PREFIX}"?
>
> Mostly historical, as pkgviews would effectively give a different PREFIX
> for each installed package.

Even more historically...

At the start, X11 packages were installed into X11BASE, and others
into LOCALBASE (the names come from FreeBSD's ports).  PREFIX was set
to whichever location (X11BASE or LOCALBASE) was pertinent.  Over the
first few years we moved things so that everything installed into
LOCALBASE.

Regards,
Alistair