Re: devel/libevent/buildlink3.mk | builtin.mk outdated?

* On 2014-10-09 at 12:30 BST, Fredrik Pettai wrote:

> Then I make use of devel/libevent/buildlink3.mk in for instance
> net/nsd/Makefile, installing net/nsd will lead to the installation
> of libevent from pkgsrc on NetBSD-current. This is even thought
> NetBSD-current (and NetBSD-7.0_BETA) both have the same version of
> libevent in base.
>
> Where did it go wrong?

The general checks to perform in these cases are:

  1. Make sure pkgsrc is recognising that you do have a working
     builtin version, regardless of whether it will be used.

       $ bmake show-var VARNAME=IS_BUILTIN.libevent

  2. Verify whether the builtin or pkgsrc will be used.

       $ bmake show-var VARNAME=USE_BUILTIN.libevent

  3. If you believe #2 to be incorrect, first check the PREFER_*
     setting:

       $ bmake show-var VARNAME=PREFER.libevent

  4. If this isn't what you desire, and the IS_BUILTIN output shows it
     is possible to use the builtin version, set it in mk.conf:

       PREFER_NATIVE= libevent

  5. If that still doesn't work then there is some reason the builtin
     cannot be used, and you must go to the builtin file itself to
     determine why.  For libevent, this means checking things such as:

      $ bmake show-var VARNAME=BUILTIN_VERSION.libevent

     and checking them against the required version from its
     buildlink3.mk.

Hope that helps,