Re: Building packages at scale

* On 2014-10-06 at 15:24 BST, Greg Troxel wrote:

> I'm curious if you are considering adding support for ccache to your
> bulk setup.   I realize that this departs from "from scratch" and
> has some risk of trouble, but in general ccache speeds up building
> quite a lot and I've been using it (not with pbulk).

It's something that I'd like to try at some point just to get some
hard data on it, but it's low priority as I'm almost certain it won't
help.

If anything it will probably reduce throughput, due to having to go to
NFS for each cc invocation, whereas I've been working to eliminate NFS
from the build side of things as much as possible - for example the
pkgsrc checkout is rsync'd to each build host and then loopback
mounted into chroots prior to starting the build.

But yeh, that's just a guess, so it'd be good to get some numbers on
it.