Re: Installing 32-bit packages on 64-bit systems

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost> writes:

> On 3 August 2014 18:39, Robert Swindells <rjs%fdy2.co.uk@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> Do we have an easy way to install a 32-bit NetBSD binary package
>> on a 64-bit NetBSD system ?
>>
>> As an example, I would like to be able to pkg_add a i386 build of
>> x11/motif on an amd64 machine and have it end up under
>> /usr/pkg/lib/i386 along with i386 builds of any other libraries it
>> needs like png and jpeg.
>
> I'm interested in this, too.
>
> Shouldn't it in theory, and at least for the amd64 port, be as easy as:
> 1) mkdir /emul/netbsd32
> 2) untar i386/binary/sets/base.tgz
> 3) pkg_add the package into /emul/netbsd32/usr/pkg  ?

A great suggestion!, and I think it will work.  I would suggest
chrooting into /emul/netbsd32 and running the included pkg_add, so that
the packages are recorded in the chroot's /var/db/pkg.  It may be
possible to use the native pkg_add and repoint the destination and the
db dir, but you really want any scripts run at install time to run in
the chroot, not in the regular fs.  Hence suggesting actually chrooting,
to avoid the 5th place it matters that none of us have thought of.

Especially if you have PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS set, there could be some
confusion with scripts that have never before encountered missing
etc.tgz.  So I would also unpack the etc set in the chroot as well.
Really it's part of the non-optional part, and is separate for upgrades.