Re: wip/webkit-gtk-2.4.3: testing needed

Hello to the entire tech-pkg@ ML, Thomas and OBATA,

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 03:39:44PM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> I've moved webkit-gtk* to webkit1-gtk* and used wip/webkit-gtk for
> updating www/webkit-gtk.
>
> I've removed www/webkit-gtk3 for now; someone interested, please
> package it again.
>
> Also, if you are currently using a package using webkit1-gtk, try
> building it with webkit-gtk (just change the buildlink3.mk include
> line in the Makefile) and report if it builds and works fine.
Thanks a lot Thomas for taking care of it. I will look at it in the next
days and send the patches upstream (I need to update a NetBSD box to
-current in order to have a working compiler for www/webkit-gtk).

On Mon, Aug 04, 2014 at 01:30:15PM +0900, OBATA Akio wrote:
> How about WebKit2 API?
>
> * WebKitGTK+ supports GTK2 and GTK3
> * WebKitGTK+ supports WebKit1 and WebKit2 API
> * WebKit2 API is the default API for WebKitGTK+ 2.0
> * WebKitGTK+ 1.5.90 switch to GTK+3 by default
>
> www/webkit-gtk is updated to 2.x, but WebKit2 API is disabled.
> I wondered that WebKit2 API should be provided as www/webkit2-gtk* packages.
> But there is naming confusion now, webkit1-gtk* packages provide WebKitGTK+
> version 1.x, not meaning WebKit1 API.
>
> Any thought?
A part naming convention there is some confusion in upstream webkit-gtk
too...:

 * WebKit1 API is deprecated and *removed*[0] and webkit-gtk-2.4.4 is
   the last stable release that supports it.

I'm not sure about the naming convention but I think that Thomas renamed
old www/webkit-gtk in order to not break a lot of packages (also
according pkgsrc-changes@ CVS log messages)... If so I think that the
rename is ok, the "1" stands for the major version of webkit-gtk and
also DESCR points to that.

For now IMO it is more important to have a functioning latest stable
version of webkit-gtk and *then* give a look to WebKit2 API.

 [0]: http://webkitgtk.org/2014/08/01/webkitgtk2.5.1-released.html

Ciao,
L.