Re: Home directory of PostgreSQL user

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 10:36:52AM +0100, Matthias Scheler wrote:
 > > Real databases, as opposed to
 > > auxiliary data that is needed to run a system, really don't belong in
 > > /var,
 >
 > I disagree. "/var" is hystorically for system data. And that is what
 > database tablesa are.

Uh... my database tables are not system data; at a pinch they're
application data, but mostly they're user data. /var is the wrong
place. /home/${PGUSER} would be better from this point of view, but of
course has other issues. Maybe ~${PGUSER}...

 > > /usr/pkg/pgsql seems as good a place as any as a default and
 > > works for casual use.
 >
 > I disagree. "/usr" is for software installation. And you should be
 > abel to mount it read-only.

Yes... which is one of the reasons /usr/pkg/var is a bad idea.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost