Re: Disable lang/perl5 threads by default

Am 13.06.2014 um 18:12 schrieb Hauke Fath <>:

> On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 18:39:45 +0200, Jens Rehsack wrote:
> [PR pkg/46280]
>> There is seriously an issue, but it's not necessarily related to perl or
>> p5-Digest-SHA. It's probably an issue somewhere else.
>> Can you repeat it on any other non-beta NetBSD version? If not, I suggest
>> address it in NetBSD, not in pkgsrc.
> Certainly possible.
>> Is it i386 only or are other architectures
>> affected, too? Was the perl compiled straight for named OS version or were
>> there some src/ updates in meantime?
> Well, it's been a year...
> It happened, as the PR says, off and on during a year. When
> p5-Digest-SHA
> dumped core, neither rebuilding perl nor a system update would make a
> difference.
> ISTR I saw the problem on more than one machine, but I am not 100% sure.
> Since the addition, I haven't seen the problem again, ever,
> across several perl and system updates. Good enough evidence for me...
> I remember a similar issue with bind9 on sparc, which liked to
> spin-loop with 100% cpu until I built it without thread support.

But you don't know the reason and just fixed the symptom. Fair enough
from operation point of view - but not enough for reasonable fix.

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with perl but with some other
things going on there ...

>> I also wonder where the -L/usr/local/lib is coming from and what's installed
>> there. The --whole-archive scares me, too.
> For lack of perl fu, I cannot comment.

Well - that's not perl fu (foo?) - it's about setting CFLAGS and LDFLAGS. I
proved over my pkgsrc and perlbrew installations - I see that nowhere. The
weird path's and --whole-archive
makes me believe that the system is grown and likely not sane. Tiny quirks
might lurk in the deep and you recognize(d) symptoms of relics.

Jens Rehsack
pkgsrc, Perl5