Re: Upcoming freeze in preparation for pkgsrc-2014Q1 branch

agc@ wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 07:22:10PM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> > agc@ wrote:
> >
> > > During the freeze, no new packages, please, and no changes to the
> > > pkgsrc infrastructure.  pkgsrc infrastructure means any file under
> > > pkgsrc/mk, and any package in the pkgtools category.
> > >
> > > Security fixes are allowed without prior approval (for obvious
> > > reasons), but, as a courtesy, please let people know on our mailing
> > > lists what you are doing.
> > >
> > > If anything is unclear, if you are in any doubt, or are concerned that
> > > anything you do might impact someone else's work, or is a wide-ranging
> > > or important change (important enough to add during a freeze), please
> > > get approval in advance from a member of the pkgsrc PMC - gdt, wiz,
> > > agc or schmonz.
> >
> > During this freeze, leaf package updates also require prior approval,
> > right?
>
> Thanks for your mail, but I don't really follow.
>
> Previously, there's been a call (from yourself, really) for everything
> to be prescribed up front, and others have said that isn't appropriate
> - there are too many corner cases, and, besides, we trust our
> developers to make the right choices knowing the goals and timescales
> for the branch, based on their skill sets, experience, intuition,
> intelligence; if all else fails, then to ask for advice or guidance.
>
> Based on over 10 years of pkgsrc quarterly releases (yes, that
> surprised me, too) in which we've had similar announcements, and goals
> which do not change, I don't think we're going to suddenly change
> direction and impose a rigid hierarchy of decision-making which would
> stifle everyone, annoy a lot more, and tie up a number of people in
> needless box-ticking.  It's not really productive for anyone to do that.
>
> But I don't want to be unduly insensitive or insulting, and neither do
> I want to bring in an air of distrust or worse, so I think we need to
> find a way forward on common ground.  I'd really like to take this
> discussion off-list so that we can discuss it further - hopefully that
> will be acceptable to you.

Does your long answer mean "nothing is changed since the previous"?

I'm not requesting/complaining anything at all
but just asking if anything is changed from the previous.

The latest full freeze announcement (in 2013Q1) mentioned about
non-leaf package updates:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-users/2013/03/17/msg017865.html
>> Any changes
>> to non-leaf packages should have an explicit "ok" first from one of
>> the people on pkgsrc-pmc - schmonz@, wiz@, agc@ and gdt@.

In the previous 2013Q4 freeze, there was a simple guideline
that mentioned about leaf package updates:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-users/2013/12/19/msg019048.html
>> Not allowed:
>>
>> * no updates to infrastructure (mk/) without PMC approval
>> * no updates to non-leaf packages with PMC approval
>>
>> Allowed:
>>
>> * patching packages to fix build breakage -- but please take care to
>>   not break other platforms. In case of any doubt, send patches for
>>   review first.
>> * security updates -- but be careful here as well
>>
>> If necessary, leaf package updates are ok, but not recommended --

On the other hand, you have explicitly removed description of
leaf/non-leaf packages, so I thought something was changed by PMC
in this 2014Q1.

---
Izumi Tsutsui