Re: Improve support for master sites using HTTPS

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 04:59:31PM -0500, matthew sporleder wrote:
> > currently the default program used for downloading files from the master
> > sites is "ftp" (also know as "tnftp"). Unfortunately the versions in
> > "pkgsrc" and all existing NetBSD releases(*) don't support HTTPS. The
> > attached patch therefore changes the default to "fetch" or "curl" (which
> > both supports HTTPS) on platforms that provide these programs. This should
> > improve the situation under CygWin, FreeBSD, Linux, Mac OS X, Minix and
> > Solaris in the short term.
> >
> > In the long term we need to figure out a way to bootstrap an HTTP/FTP
> > client
> > which supports HTTPS in "pkgsrc". But this is outside the scope of
> > this patch.
> >
> >         Kind regards
> >
> > (*) "ftp" in NetBSD 6.2 and 7.0 will support HTTPS.
> >
> > --
> > Matthias Scheler                                  http://zhadum.org.uk/
> >

> Does fetch deal properly with files using Content-Disposition headers?  I
> think github uses these.

I don't know that unfortunately and I don't have FreeBSD or DragonFlyBSD
system to test it.

I however expect that it works because:
1.) FreeBSD's ports system uses "fetch" to download distribution file.
2.) pkgsrc on FreeBSD uses "fetch" as well, even before my change.

        Kind regards