native X, linux and $(prefix)

I've just switched my linux builds from using "modular" X to using
"native" so I've put the following in my mk.conf

and so far most things seem to be building OK but I've struck what
appears to be the same problem in two packages  cairo-gobject and
poppler-utils.  Both are instances where part of a build has been
split off into separate packages and makefiles have been patched to
use an installed library rather than one within the build.

 libcairo_gobject_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info
$(CAIRO_LIBTOOL_VERSION_INFO) -no-undefined $(export_symbols)
-libcairo_gobject_la_LIBADD = $(top_builddir)/src/
+libcairo_gobject_la_LIBADD = $(prefix)/lib/ $(CAIRO_LIBS)
 all: all-am

the build then fails when trying to link that library because the path
is wrong:

libtool: link: cannot find the library
buildlink/pkg/lib/' or unhandled argument
*** Error code 1

Links to the library are in
.../work.debretts/.x11-buildlink/lib/ and

so where is the "/pkg/" part of the prefix coming from and why isnt
this an issue on NetBSD with native X?