Re: linker $ORIGIN processing

Le 15/11/13 14:06, Joerg Sonnenberger a écrit :
On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 02:03:05PM +0100, Richard PALO wrote:
Is there any particularly strong reason why pkgsrc wrappers drop
$ORIGIN processing from linker RPATHs?

Because it isn't generally supported by the dynamic linker and it is
something we do not want to have in pkgsrc as packages aren't
relocatable.

Joerg

I understand that something needs to be done when and if indeed the dynamic linker doesn't support origin processing, though I [perhaps incorrectly] thought that not supporting origin was more the exception and not the rule.

For example 'musl' added support lately...
musl-0.9.13.tar.gz - August 30, 2013
    Dynamic linker now supports $ORIGIN and recursive rpath resolution.

It goes without saying that the platforms lacking such support require appropriate patches...

What seems overkill is to unduly break packages which should correctly work on platforms generally (or specifically) dealt with in the upstream (even pkgsrc patched) build scripts.
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not generally a trivial nor elegant solution.

In otherwords, I believe this drop of $ORIGIN does more harm than good.