Re: Update of xulrunner17/firefox17 in freeze period

                        Hi,

On 30/09/2013 14:11, Ryo ONODERA wrote:

> From: Alistair Crooks <agc%pkgsrc.org@localhost>, Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013
> 04:33:16 +0200
>
>> I talked to khorben about LTS and some other issues this weekend, so I
>> think I know where he wants to go with his plans, but don't want to
>> speak for him.  What are other distributions doing about long-term
>> support, and modifications to established packages on the supported
>> branches?
>
> ??? LTS for what? I cannot understand the topic.

I have been talking with Alistair (and a few other developers and
vendors) about the possibility to support some branches of pkgsrc longer
than the current three months (at least security-wise).

I have myself a reason to do this in EdgeBSD: working modular Xorg, and
am therefore working on pkgsrc-2013Q1 as the official stable branch for
packages there. Then there is the matter of vendors, typically
industrial actors who need software versions to remain stable, while
patching for potential defects and security issues: their lifecycle is
certainly longer than our current quarterly releases.

So the idea is simply to choose a branch and maintain it for at least
one year.

> By the way, I have the following update plan for Mozilla products. [...]

It looks good to me; thanks for doing this!

Cheers,
--
khorben