Re: Introducing SMF support

At 14:35 Uhr +0100 3.9.2013, Jonathan Perkin wrote:

[Solaris SMF support]

Good to see! I happen to have hacked up manifest files for Samba and
Netatalk just days ago, but it was a pain I could have done without...

>  - Add user-settable INIT_SYSTEM variable, with the user able to
>    choose between 'rc.d' and 'smf'.  Once the majority of packages
>    have been converted to support SMF, we will make the default 'smf'
>    on SunOS >= 5.10.

Since the NetBSD rc.d style scripts only go to
$LOCALBASE/share/examples/rc.d, we might ship them anyway, even on Solaris
OSes. I guess it will be a while until all the server packages will have
grown suitable SMF support?

>    Default otherwise will remain 'rc.d'.

As an aside - how would you start services with rc.d scripts on Solaris
currently?

>  - Import an SMF 'manifest.xml' file, and an optional 'method' file,
>    into ${FILESDIR}/smf for each supporting package.

I am not sure a separate directory for one or two files will scale well.
I'd say, put them in files, with the rc.d scripts.

Thanks for your work,

hauke