Re: Circular dependency errors

On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 09:30:49AM +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> * On 2013-08-07 at 03:25 BST, Paul Ackersviller wrote:
>
> > I've been making pieces of pkgsrc, now and then, on hp-ux over the
> > past few years and invariably run across the circular dependency
> > situation early on.  I've reported these a couple of times but have
> > gotten so used to it happening that I usually just work around it
> > and move on.
> >
> > Granted, that's not the ideal way to handle things, but this is
> > frequent enough that I wonder whether the manual might do with some
> > mention of how best to handle things.  What do people think?
> Otherwise, circular dependencies can be caused by any number of
> changes to mk.conf.  Out of the box pkgsrc should not have any, other
> than the compiler one mentioned above, so if you run into any with a
> default mk.conf then please report them as bugs.

Yes, I see now that out-of-box pkgsrc does this immediately without
adding a setting for CC.  Is there some reason why the mk.conf doesn't
have the same CC used to bootstrap?

> As for circular dependencies caused by a misconfigured mk.conf, I'm
> not sure we can possibly cover all eventualities here, other than a
> simple recommendation to go back to a clean pkgsrc and mk.conf to
> confirm.

Thanks, this hit the nail on the head.  I'd been automatically adding
USE_TOOLS+=perl to mk mk.conf, for reasons I don't even recall...
likely for a couple of years.  I'm embarassed it took me this long to
realize the repercussions!