Takahiro Kambe <> writes:

> In message <>
>       on Wed, 5 Jun 2013 11:49:56 +0200,
>       Thomas Klausner <> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 01:07:12PM +0900, Takahiro Kambe wrote:
>>> Where should I specify ftp_proxy/http_proxy/https_proxy environment to
>>> fetch files under proxy reqruied environment?
>> I didn't find a setting for this.
>> Cases for these should be added to the PKGSRC_SETENV line in
>> _FETCH_CMD in mk/fetch/ line 242, and the variables then set
>> in /etc/mk.conf.
> Thanks.
>> Please test and add the settings there.
> The problem was sometimes proxy is needed but other isn't, so passing
> environment from shell was handy for me.

I think there's a tension between adding explicit support for setting
each variable someone might want vs a mk.conf setting, vs just allowing
things to pass through.  Generally, for variables that are intended to
affect the build output, I think it's best to be explicit.  But proxies
are just details around the edges, where the same bits will be fetched
(since we have checksums), and it's not important from a repeatability
perspective.  So for foo_proxy, I'd be inclined to just whitelist them.

Putting them in rc.conf won't help, because environment cleaning (once
that's back after whitelisting is straightened out) will remove them.
Whether they are set system-wide or only in the calling environment of
pkgsrc is a local issue, beyond the scope of pkgsrc.