Re: fixing x11-links

On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 03:48:31AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 02:52:20AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
>  > Ok, because of the problem I mentioned on the other thread, cairo no
>  > longer builds on netbsd-5.
>
> This patch fixes it.
>
> I'm of two minds about this: on the one hand, it's expedient, it
> works, and similar patches in other bl3 files will solve many of the
> other build problems with netbsd-5 native X.
>
> On the other hand, x11-links really needs to be tidied, and this does
> nothing to improve that situation.

I think you're right - what I'd do is check this in as a workaround,
and adding an entry to HACKS.  But we also need to start thinking about
a "less static" means of doing the builtin/package mix than x11-links.
I don't think it's appropriate to leave native X11 users stranded.

And, yes, long-term I think we need a more generic solution; I'd like
to hope the builtin mechanism we have would accomplish this rather
nicely, too.

Thanks for doing this!

Best,
Alistair