Re: pkgsrc cross-compilation and other miscellaneous patches

   Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 19:22:37 +0200
   From: Alistair Crooks <agc%pkgsrc.org@localhost>

   + namespace - in mk.conf can we prefix some of the more generic names
   with PKGSRC e.g. PKGSRC_CROSS_COMPILE or PKGSRC_USE_CROSS_COMPILE
   instead of USE_CROSS_COMPILE, etc.

No objection here, but I think we can make this substitution after
I've committed the functional changes.

   + i think you mention somewhere that some form of cross pkg-config
   is needed, but i'm having difficulty finding it now. sounds like this
   would be a win.

Might have been in conversation on IRC, but I don't think I've seen
any major problems with pkg-config yet.  There are some issues with
XML catalogues which might have come up in relation to pkg-config, but
the only big cross-compilation tool problem I've hit so far is
libtool.

   + we should note in the pkgsrc entry's Makefile that the entry is
   cross-compilable (lesson learned from 14 years ago and adding
   different OS support to pkgsrc). over time, this will hopefully be
   less important, but in the early stages, it's a great way to identify
   what needs to be done

Is there an advantage to marking pkgsrc entries rather than just doing
bulk builds and checking the report to see what's broken?

   Having said all that, these are truly minor concerns, and I would love
   to see this in pkgsrc as soon as we possibly can. Pretty please?

Is that an OK to commit?  All the patches for cross-compilation, or
only a subset?