Re: revbumps [was Re: suggestion: Host fly-off between pkgin and nih and subsequent official integration]

John Marino <netbsd%marino.st@localhost> writes:

> Honestly I think the "make replace" issue is the main one.  If that
> were fixed, I could live with dependence rebuilds.  It's just time
> (unless I don't have much, then it's still annoying.)

What specific 'make replace' issue do you mean?  The biggest problem as
I see it is that when files move from one package to another there is no
way to replace packages individually.

As for installing one package, pkgsrc expects a consistent checkout of
src, and a set of installed packages that are consistent with that.   So
the rule is first do pkg_rr (or similar) and then you can build things.
If you don't like that you should be using the stable branch.

Now, it would be a feature to do something where one can essentially do
pkg_rr projected onto the dependencies of a single package, plus any
rebuilds that are required from that.  But I'm not sure that's really a
good idea because it accomodates more inconsistency than pkgsrc usually has.