Re: understanding relations between binary packages

Ralf Treinen <treinen%pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr@localhost> writes:

> I can install a binary package iff:
> 1) all its DEPENDS are installed (yes, I know about alternatives in {..})
> 2) for every library that appears in REQUIRES, a package that PROVIDEs this
>    library is installed.
> 3) None of it CONFLICTS is installed

I think that now, item 1 implies item 2.  If there were a package pair
that required the PROVIDES/REQUIRES to resolve dependencies, I would
think that's a bug.  But perhaps I'm confused on this point.

An important issue is that ABI compat is about more tha library
versions; it's about anything invoked by use (script arguments and
output).  So while PROVIDES/REQUIRES is really useful to figure out how
to automatically cope with in-place upgrades that bump shlib major
versions, I'm not sure it is a general/complete solution.